That is right! This week’s dessert for my husband, is Romeo and Juliet Donut
The most famous and romantic couple gave name to one of the most simple and traditional desserts in Brazil. Which consist of guava paste, with Mina’s cheese. White fresh cheese, like the mexican queso fresco.
There is not much information about this dessert, how started and why is called like that. But the influence is of course, Portuguese and Bulgarian.
The cheese used is typical from Minas Gerais, called Mina’s Cheese, here on the US we use the Mexican “queso fresco”. It has a very similar texture.
For the guava paste, anyone would be just fine. A very popular name brand is “Goya”.
Now a days there is numerous dessert forms to represent this dessert , from cakes, cupcakes, to mousse and cheesecake. But its original form still remains strong in every afternoon coffee or tea or breakfast. Two ingredients ready to go, just cut it into slices and eat it together.
Like Romeo and Juliet, this dessert is a perfect marriage of colors, textures and flavors, combining the tangy cheese with the sweet guava paste.
Of course I couldn’t just slice them and serve to my husband….”here it go” this is your dessert. Not fun….
So I made a donut and filled with the two ingredients combination.
Romeo and Juliet Donut
10 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. sugar
1 Tsp Baking powder
1/4 cup of warm milk
1/2 cup of guava paste and cheese cut in very little cubes and mixed.
- Start by mixing the flour, sugar, baking powder and egg together.
- Pour milk into the mixture, little by little until the dough is all combined, but still sticky. (probably won’t use all the milk.)
- Pull a little bit of dough , pressed to form a little circle,(make sure is not to tick), filled with about a 1/2 tsp of the guava and cheese mixture. Close, forming the donut shape.
- If the dough is to sticky, just cote your hand with oil or butter.
- Have a pan ready with oil in the stove. Make sure is hot.
- Fry the donuts, 3 at a time.
- They will fry very fast. Scoop out, let it rest in a plate with paper towel.
* If they are not very cooked on the inside, after frying, just put in the heated oven. Do not bake, just let it warm up a little bit.
** This donut recipe is my mom’s recipe, and is good whitout any filling aswell. Just roll the donut into a sugar and cinnamon mixture after is done.